{Broken Arm}
04.27.11
We had been housesitting for my parents for a week. Craig was at school so Eliza and I were home alone. We were in the middle of dinner (I was sitting at the bar- Eliza was in a highchair to the left of me).
I suddenly heard a loud crash and instantly knew. I jumped off my chair and turned around to see my baby girl laying face first on the tile floor- food everywhere- glass shattered.
I grabbed her off the floor- and didn't even dare look at her- I knew it was bad.
I gave her some tylenol and then tried to "assess" the situation.
She was holding her arm and crying so I knew it was hurt. She had a bump on her head but that was all I could see. I called Craig and told her to come home- I thought her arm was probably broken.
She finally calmed down and acted fine so I thought maybe it would be ok. I got her down on the ground and told her to crawl- but she wouldn't put pressure on her arm.
We decided to see how she was in the morning.
* Side note... The highchair is really old. She was pushing really hard on the tray and somehow it popped off and flew off the chair- her momentum took her with it *
I took her into the dr the next morning- he played around with it a bit but thought she was ok. He told me he would do an x-ray for my peace of mind- or I could watch it for a few days and see if it gets any better.
Of course I decided to save some bucks and wait.
The next morning I really felt like I needed to take her and get an x-ray.
Well sure enough- her little forearm was broken. They called it a buckle break. I felt horrible for letting it go a few days without a cast- but the Dr. kept assuring me she was fine.
So four weeks in a cast for us. We are almost done- 1 week left of the dirty-stinky-bulky-ugly cast.
She's been a little trooper.


2 comments:
Oh my goodness Britta! I am so sorry! I'm so glad they were able to find it and fix it. That must have been so traumatic for all of you.
Get well soon, Eliza!
You forgot to mention how your ever-knowledgeable and super-fabulous sister-in-law called it from the get-go...I'm kind of a pro at broken limbs and problems with children. That's okay, I don't need to hear how I'm always right (Jeff is laughing hard right now because I always tell him that "I don't speak unless I'm fairly certain that I'm right." and you know what, I really am always right!
Post a Comment