3.01.2012

Cabo San Lucas
Another year in Cabo.  It was ridiculously fun- like always.
Lots of swimming-eating-fishing-and eating.
And I survived being 6 months pregnant in Mexico.
(With the way things have gone- I was seriously worried.  Especially since I was bleeding 2 days before we left.  Yep.  I have loved this pregnancy.)








This is Craig's 4th year with us in Cabo.  He has consistently woke up every morning every year to fish off the shore.  And every morning every year he has consistently been skunked.
But this year- he FINALLY caught some fish!  2 Sierras and a bunch of weird fish we have no clue what they are.  We called them pencil fish because they are long skinny and super ugly.










I have to say- of the 20+ years we have been going to Cabo- we had our first somewhat "cold" week. We had 2 really chilly nights and one really chilly day.  It was very out of the ordinary- but we survived!




Craig and I snuck away one afternoon and had lunch by ourselves.  We took a cab there and decided to walk back to the hotel.  Big mistake.  It was so hot and way farther than we thought.  I ended up swollen and miserable. But the lunch was delish!


Dinner on the beach.
Our favorite night.




Right after I nailed her in the face with a Frisbee.  She was so mad at me!






The boys took a boat out and went fishing one day.  They were going for Marlin and Tuna- but they caught a shark instead.  They were all glowing when they got back.  Craig ran to the hotel to get us when they pulled in so we could all see it.  The little girls were scared to death of it.  Eliza couldn't get over how bloody it was. (They had to kill it when they got into the marina) When I told her it was ok and it was dead- she said: "Oh no!!!  We better get Daddy a new shark!"







The weird unknown fish...



Pirate ship
We took the kids on a pirate whale watching tour one day.  It ended up being the cold windy day (of course) so we all froze to death.  We saw some whales up close but we were too wet and cold to enjoy it.  It was so windy and rough we were sprayed with ocean water the whole time.  
Miserable.







Uncle Ta-Ta







Breakfast at Mamma's..
Oh yum.











The last night of our trip we went back to our favorite restaurant and then ice cream- as usual.  We went home and went to bed.  At about 1:30 Eliza woke up crying and gasping for breath.  I immediately knew it was croup but I had never seen it this bad before. She was literally gasping for air and panicking because she just wasn't getting any.  Usually we take her out into the cold air and it opens up her airways.  There is no "cold" air in Cabo.  I started freaking out.  So many things were flashing through my mind.  I was so confused because she had just gone to bed a few hours ago perfectly fine and healthy.  At this point I am bawling because my little girl is barely breathing.  And we are in Mexico.  Because we were so prepared and didn't have any oil- Craig gave her a blessing without.  She immediately started calming down but was still wheezing.  Riley and my Dad came to our room and we brainstormed on what to do.  Take her to the hospital?  In Mexico?  Try to find the steroids at a pharmacy?  But after praying my little heart out I decided to wait until morning and if it was still bad we would take her to the hospital.  She slept between us while I laid awake the entire night listening to every breath she took.  At 5:30 am she had finally started breathing normally.  And I decided to go to sleep.  She woke up at 7 completely back to normal.  She barked a couple times when she coughed- but by the time we left for the airport around noon it was completely gone.  She has never got rid of croup without taking steroids. I am SO grateful for the priesthood and for Craig who holds it.  I also learned a great lesson.  Oil is at the top of all my travel lists.  Never again will we go anywhere without it!

5 comments:

Derek and Lisa Larson said...

Wow! So many amazing things. I'm glad Eliza is OK. Croup would be so scary!
And I can't believe your husband caught a shark. That's amazing.
BTW, I'm not sure I've congratulated you on the pregnancy. That's so exciting! It sounds like it's been a doozy of a pregnancy but hopefully things calm down and the delivery goes well :)

Unknown said...

First off I love the shark! Totally freaks me out.
When we did the pirate ship thing it was cold too.
You look amazing. And you are looking more and more like your mother!
When we fished in Puerto Vallarta we caught those sierra fish and Tyler thought they were so yummy.
I'm glad you had so much fun...

Unknown said...

Jamie Dabo is the unknown comment.

Kylee said...

cute little family you have - looks like it was a fun trip! Glad Eliza is ok ;)

Kelly Stanworth said...

Loved the belly (needed mor pics of it), Loved the Tiger, Love Eliza's hair, Love the shark, Love it all, and Love you guys. Want to come with you!
This pregnancy will just make you appreciate your next one that much more.