8.12.2009

Happy Birthday Eliza Lynn!

Born 08.08.09, 11:17 p.m.
(5 days late)
7 lbs 9 oz, 21 in


The Big Day
I guess it's time for the story... It's a long one... Here it goes

On Friday night I started having contractions that got to be ten minutes apart. They lasted all night long and into the next day. When they
started to get to be 5-8 minutes apart- we decided we might as well go to the hospital and just see if they'll by chance keep us. At that point I was 5 days over due... and we were willing to try anything! (the worst thing they could do was send us home- and I could go to my scheduled induction on Tuesday). We walked into the hospital around 1:30- and the first person we see is Dr. Lunt! (he must think we're crazy) He took us back and checked me and I was at a 4. I think with a little convincing from the nurse (and some sympathy toward us), they decided to admit me. Within an hour my water was broken, and I was having consistent contractions. (2:30 p.m.) Things went very smoothly- I dilated quickly and by 6.5 cm I was ready for my epidural! I was so scared! It was so easy though- the IV hurt worse than the epidural! I got numb quickly.. but also quickly realized I was still feeling contractions on my left side! They sent the anesthesiologist back and for a SECOND epidural. This one worked- thank goodness! At 7:30 the nurse said it's time to push. The first push the nurse said "Wow, you have a very prominent tailbone." I said..... "Thank you?" The second push baby's heart rate dropped really low and all these nurses came running in and they called Dr. Lunt. We got it back up- but they said no more pushing until Dr. Lunt gets here. So when Lunt finally got there we started again- I heard the nurse tell him about my "prominent tailbone"- but didn't realize it was that big of a deal! He informed me that my tailbone was sticking straight out towards my pelvis, and on top of that- instead of being the size of a small pinky finger, it was the size of a man's thumb. I said.... "Thank you?" Well- turns out that's a big problem. He was ready to do the c-section right then- but Craig and I didn't want to give up! We decided to keep pushing to see what would happen. I pushed for 3.5 hours- and still no little girl. I was so exhausted I was delirious. After hearing things like "She'll have to break your tailbone in order to get through" and "her head is sideways" and " the side of her head is being molded to the opening because the rest won't fit through", I heard "Craig, why don't you put a glove on and feel this?". WHAT??? Well... believe it or not- he did! (sorry if that is a little much- but I need to remember these things!) He felt my ginormous record breaking tailbone, the space between it and my pelvis, the baby's head, AND what happened when I pushed through a contraction. I will never forget the look on his face. He said "Just stop, we're done, there is no way." So... within 20 minutes I was prepped for surgery and it was happening (I don't want to forget the fact that I was trembling/convulsing/shaking through the entire labor and surgery). I think Craig was in the room for a whole 2 minutes when I heard her screaming and she was being whisked away from me! There was meconium in my fluid so they had to take her away before I even got to see her.

I finally got to meet her after she was all cleaned up and she was AMAZING. We had our "moment" as a new family in the recovery room. She is beautiful and amazing and we love her so much. Craig just can't get enough- and I am so in love with how in love he is with her!


* I just have to say- Craig has been the most amazing husband/daddy i n the world! We were in the hospital for 3 days and he didn't leave my side once. Now we've been home for 4 and he's helping out even more. He is so hands on and helpful- I feel like he's better at this than I am... he's so amazing! I Love You babe- thanks for everything!



28 comments:

LiSa said...

Yep...I almost cried reading that. I cannot even wait to meet her and see you. CONGRATULATIONS!!...again.

missy said...

Congratulations Britta. She is adorable. Hope things are still going smoothly!!

The Dabo's said...

Ooh love the middle name! She's adorable of course and I am glad everything turned out okay. Now you know for next time, big tailbone- no vag delivery. I was just wondering her stats at birth??? Oh and you and craig look great as new parents too!!!

Jaimelee and Steven Holm said...

i love her i love her! she is sooooo perfect!

erica said...

congrats britta and craig! so sorry things didn't go as planned...but she is here safe and thats what matters. she is so precious!

Boo and Sara said...

Congrats! She is beautiful! I had an emergency c-section with my first and they would not let baby or husband in the recovery room (it was 6 years ago but maybe I just had a mean nurse). It was awful laying by myself in recovery having never even held my new baby. Glad they were with you in recovery. Hope you are adjusting well.

The Harrisons said...

Oh my gosh She is so cute!! Ya I cried reading that, even though I had already heard it from Jamie! haha Congratulations! Can't wait to meet her. Hope you're feeling good!

jaesi said...

ahh look at that sweet little baby!
enjoy her.
Loved the story....
"thank you?" Hilarious!

A said...

Oh I love her already. I can't wait to meet her. You are the sweetest family! Love you

Mik'L said...

wow...sounds A LOT like my delivery. only i didn't see him for hours after. so how big and long? i'm glad things are going good at home! enjoy it...they really do get big SO fast!

Crowther Clan said...

She is adorable. I'm sorry to hear this. My tailbone is the same way. I cracked mine with my first. You look great after all that hard work. Congratulations again!!

Shanan Wasden said...

she is so beautiful! wow that sounds really stressful! i'm glad everythings ok now!

Jodi Rae said...

Congratulations! She is SO beautiful! I am glad that she finally made it here safe and happy. You guys are such a sweet family! Enjoy every tiny little minute because those infant moments are so fleeting. If you need anything let us know!

Marcie said...

I have been waiting for your post! WOW what a crazy labor story. Glad she is here safe and sound. Enjoy every minute they grow SO FAST!!

Derek and Lisa Larson said...

I'm so glad it all worked out! It's been fun having someone going through all this at the same time as me. Good luck with the recovery. We'll have to swap newborn stories sometime :)

Bryan said...

Britta- Eliza is a little doll. She is perfect and her face is just beautiful. I hope you are feeling better soon and enjoy this time with your first little baby. These are the best moments in life!

Mary Jane

shawfamily said...

I kept checking and waiting for this post :) she's so beautiful I'm so glad you guys are safe n healthy... you're quite the trooper ... congrats!

Renee and Kiddies said...

Good job Mommy, how's your post surgery? After three C-sections I know it's a pretty painful recovery, but worth it. And what a good Daddy, you are very lucky :). She's beautiful, you're beautiful, congratulations!

The Grantham Family said...

Yae...glad she finally made it! She is darling and has the sweetest little features. And HELLO, you look amazing. Congratulations!

Love her name!

Kaesy said...

I loved the story. Can't believe you had a C-section. Scary.

She is beautiful. You named her the name I should have named Max. So bummed. But it fits her so perfectly.

Darren + Janessa said...

yay! shes finally here! :) wow... what a story! I'm so glad that everything turned out well! what a gorgeous baby!!! congrats you guys! babies are so fun and it gets better and better. (they aren't always as crazy as that time you saw us at wal mart and ty was crying her eyes out- promise!)

Kelly Stanworth said...

We love her. She is so beautiful. I always knew Craig would make a great dad. You guys are great and Eliza is so perfect. Can't wait to see her again, but I'm guessing it won't be until you bless her...whenever that happens. You are seriously like my hero for all you went through that day. I think the Lord must know I couldn't handle it so he gives me super easy deliveries!

Lacey Breinholt said...

Britta! She is absolutely perfect! What a doll. Congratulations!

Bobbi Simkins said...

congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations you guys! That is a crazy birth story. Eliza is so beautiful!

The Foisy's said...

Oh my goodness! What a stressful experience for you! I had a c-section too but I knew I had to have one in advance cause Avery was breach. At least next time you will just know, it will be planed and you won't have to go through that again. She is beautiful Britta. You guys are going to be great parents!! Congrats!

Cami said...

wow you are a tropper!!! congratulations, she is beautiful! hope you are recovering well, and are having lots of fun with your sweet baby girl! We are so happy for you guys.

Chante said...

I am glad you posted your story, I was curious when I read your facebook post. She is beautiful and I am glad things are going well now! You must have been so scared with all the comments that were made while you were pushing....poor girl! Glad things turned out well, though!