1.21.2010

01.16.10

{Hike Day}


With all this cold weather, and no fun in the sun, I decided it was time to get some fresh air and a little Vitamin D. On Saturday we asked Craig's Mom (who is actually a hike guide) to take us on one of her amazing hikes. It truly was amazing- and so so much fun! After hearing about the 2 "slot canyons" and amazing views- I had to bring my Mom along to enjoy it with us!

I have to admit- I am not a hiker. When I heard it was almost 4 miles, and pretty difficult- I was pretty nervous. (plus- the fact that we have a five month old we're packing around). She assured us we'd "be fine".

Within the first couple minutes we came to our first stop.
A huge rock with a bunch of petrogliffs.

This was the first Slot we went through. It was so beautiful! There were also petrogliffs on both sides of the walls. Sandy told us that it was a shelter for the women and children to protect them from animals while the men were hunting. No wonder they drew all over the walls.

{Wedding Rock}



Apparently women get their wedding pictures taken on this rock.
(Sandy has never seen anybody actually do it)
But thinking about hiking to that point and then taking bridals? I don't think so.
But the view is breathtaking.

{2nd Slot}


This slot was actually pretty difficult to get through. I didn't get a picture but there was a part where we had to shimmy through a little hole
(which was difficult with Eliza- but Craig did fine).


But once we were through
{WOW}


Don't worry... we are not on the edge of a cliff which is was it looks like.
We are actually really responsible parents.
Makes for a pretty good picture though!

Thank you Sandy for showing us this "Hidden Treasure" of a hike.
We loved having a Saturday with our Moms!

2 comments:

Higbee said...

What a pretty hike! Britta you are so skinny already!

The Harrisons said...

Where is this hike? It looks beautiful!